Tuesday 22 October 2013

Snatching is the new Dating


So I have realised (after carrying last in this matter) that snatching is the new way to date!

Not kidding, I noticed that nowadays a girl doesn’t seem to have a problem ‘hanging’ around a guy who has a girlfriend because there is hope that since he isn’t officially married he can change his mind and choose her.

I once told a friend that I refuse to enjoy the company of an ‘attached’ man and she plainly said I was dulling because he isn’t ‘married’ so what was the problem? Hian! The problem is that when I eventually fall for him and then he doesn’t call off his wedding to this other woman, what would happen to me?

I’m not saying you can’t be friends with someone who has a partner oh, ask my close friends and they will tell you I’m the master of friendship (sometimes they say it’s to my own detriment); I would have turned you to 'padi' before anything (I truly believe you can never tell for sure why someone comes into your life).

However, if from the beginning you both are straight up and honest with yourselves and no empty promises then fine, whatever now happens is of your own doing. But not a situation where the guy is ‘hovering and covering and blocking and telling you stories that touch’ and you’re enjoying this whole process only for him to invite you to his wedding! What do you want me to do there biko? Serve food or souvenir?

It’s not only the women who try this stunt, there are even some men who oppress impressionable women who are in their own relationships, trying to cause confusion in her life and truncate her marital destiny! WHY?!

I’m not going to say “oh men are demons or babes are fools” (I don’t have the perfect opinion about everything) what I’m concerned about is “how did we get here?” this stage where the lines and boundaries in boy-girl relationships have become blurred or none existent and has it always been this way?

I won’t claim innocence because I’ve been a willing prey as well as an ignorant predator in this matter in my past life, however I’m afraid. Afraid that if it’s so confusing now, what would it be like when I have a 16 year old female child? By then would there be a difference between an acquaintance, colleague, classmate, neighbour, close friend and boyfriend? Would there be clear cut distinctions between all these people?  Or we’ll all be intertwined and enjoying ‘benefits’ of these relationships?

I wonder how high the rate of emotional trauma or mental illnesses will be by then, because I’m sure beyond a doubt that more young people will still commit suicide from being disappointed or heart broken when that ‘attached unofficial partner’ decides to marry that other person and then you realize you’ve spent months/years enjoying the company of this person that was NEVER yours!

I’ve heard stories of people who snatched and are happily married no problem at all, like seriously I don’t judge you. Maybe if I knew how to snatch I won’t still be unmarried, however as a traditional girl I want a SINGLE UNATTACHED man to be with ONLY me officially and unofficially! Thank you! I don’t have energy for avoidable drama or heart-paining!

And some people may say “what if you’re the one he wants to marry and he has unofficial babe outside who wants to displace you?” Ehn, no argument, you’ll only have to wait and see if that ever happens to me because there are somethings I don’t even permit to worry me now (And besides have you ever experienced the power of a violent praying woman?! Lool)
 
* According to the image, don’t you see how easy it is to kill yourself when you’re stuck between zones?!
 

3 comments:

  1. "Canopy" is the order of the day now & "Unofficial- Undefined" relationships seem to be brewing more & more, and getting more "Socially" (Politically) correct than your Traditional- decent manner of friendship or courtship.....
    Well, I honestly believe (my own personal opinion) that as you (ladies or gentlemen) are hoping/willing/calculating &working to "snatch" another person's spouse; please kindly have it at the back of your mind somewhere that another Desirable- David OR Irresistible- Delilah could be scheming to grasp that which is yours too.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol lovely piece... I believe it would be worse in 16 years though. .. so brace up for the parenting challenge :)

    www.omoniyitope.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete