Tuesday 24 September 2013

This eyebrow business


So I was looking into the mirror in a bathroom, making sure my new sexy dark purple Avon lipstick (wink) was still in perfect condition when I looked up and almost fell backwards……a woman beside me had THE EYEBROWS OF LIFE!!!! Like literally, they were thick, jet black and sitting right above her eyes in a supposed straight line.

I was hurt; I was angry at her friends and family who saw her do this and couldn’t stop her but I was especially angry at her because I couldn’t fathom how she even thought her eyebrows were allowed on this planet…..such is reserved for Star wars cast and co.

I’m not being hateful; I’m just tired of women who make the rest of us look bad. Recently on twitter, a male friend of mine was ranting about a girl’s eyebrows and the ‘constantly surprised look’ a lot of girls like to have now adays, he asked “were you born with such a deep arch in your brows?” LOL I felt the irritation from the words he typed.

For some ladies it may not be the terrible line or surprised look, it could be the color of the pencil, abeg aunty which dark skin Nigerian woman have you ever seen with wine or ginger hair? Or if it’s not the color, then it’s the thickness of the brows, please are you Chewbacca?

I’ve also noticed that this bad habit isn’t common to only Nigerian women oh, infact I saw a woman of European or middle eastern descent at the airport once with this eyebrow crime and I almost took her picture, I must have given her an evil eye unconsciously sha because I took it personal.

I know we’re told that the eyebrows frame the face, bring out your eyes, etc (trust me I know this, I’ve done several Makeup courses) however, the word ‘frame’ isn’t a synonym for ‘scare the hell out of people’. Not everyone was born with an innate ability to get the perfect brows but there are still some basic, obvious things we can all see shouldn’t be done and trust me you can learn the art!

How can people take you seriously when you have dark brown hair and wine colored caterpillars on your face claiming they are eyebrows? And guys, please be kind and tell your wives, girlfriends, sisters and friends if they look funny after ‘drawing’ their brows; ego may be bruised but trust me because you mentioned it, she will think twice before she does her make up the next day.

Be your sister’s keeper, let God use you to be a blessing to the world and tell a guilty female today, “Girl, fix that eyebrow!”


Follow me on twitter @Anu_chayil
Google+ Anu Adebayo
Pinterest Anuchayil

 

3 comments: