Friday 1 February 2013

What I didn’t plan to Learn


 
A few days ago I wrote a funny article and had plans to post it here; I have a habit of waiting for a while after I write an article because I sometimes feel its incomplete or I could edit better when I'm in a certain mood.

Anyway, the article was incomplete and about lessons of life I learnt from hilarious situations then one day I wake up, check my laptop and realize it’s no more there. I check every folder; either I didn’t save it or it got deleted somehow and I was clueless on what to do, totally devoid of any emotions as I had no one to blame for my carelessness but me.

But this got me wondering, I can actually write the article again but “would it be as funny?” I mean the article was based on actual personal experiences I can recall but, there was a but! Maybe I was just being lazy (a condition I suffer from that I’m currently being treated for) or unsure of my writing.

I recently had a conversation with someone who made no effort to hide his irritation about the condition I mentioned above, the next day I spoke to someone else who was a bit nicer and whose personal road to emancipation opened my eyes to the power of one word- FOCUS.

Learning how to control a wandering (I’d rather use multi talented) mind is one of the hardest things; as I began to doubt re-writing my article I couldn’t help but be true to myself that maybe I wasn’t sure of my intention or the message I needed to pass that’s why it wasn’t coming back to me fully.

We often allow our minds be consumed by many time-bound expectations and then become frustrated when we are standing with our arms empty, forgetting we never really did anything to make them reality.

What we do most of the time is wishful thinking and for some weird reasons expect that they should come through and we deserve it. No one is demanding you narrow your options but rather have pictures, if I had a clear picture of my ‘lessons of life’ article, reproducing it may not have been a task- I could have just gone back to my mental picture and replicated it.

Other times we dabble into so much, with no specific focus and end up with nothing. Check it, even the most successful people who seem to have different business ventures are still focused on one thing that is the binding factor or ties their businesses together.

The first time I was getting a shop with my sister, I literally drew what I wanted on paper, I always referred to it so even when we had to make some changes due to space and furniture positions, I understood what needed to be compromised and what had to stay the same. And for the period I had that facility, not once did I regret or try to rearrange things, it was simply perfect!

Always have a picture of everything you want to achieve or you want to see; I have a picture when I pray so I’ll know when my prayers have been answered or accept to wait if God wants to teach me some lessons so that I won’t wake up after a few months and conclude that God is wicked and doesn’t answer prayers; I try to have a clear picture of what I want to see happen in my business within a period of time (something I had to consciously learn as part of my Laziness Rehab); I try to have a picture of the type of writer I want to be; a picture of what type of wife/mother I want to be; and I even have a picture of how much weight I want to lose.

If we can just focus our thoughts/imaginations/wishes/expectations and make them sketches, then I'm sure we could always go back to the drawing board to eliminate unwanted things, prioritize, get desired results and definitely overcome laziness. I once read that “If you know your WHERE, then you can overcome the HOW”.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this is exactly what I needed to hear at this point of my life, "Focus". I'll waste no more time, I'll sketch what I want (or at least an idea of what I want) so that when I get it I'll recognize it.....I love your blogs (well, I read about three now)....I hope you rewrite "lessons of life", I look forward to reading it

    ReplyDelete